Painting Drizgit



This post is all focused around painting Drizgit including my inspiration and the various new techniques I tried out along the way. I knew I wanted Drizgit to have rusty armour, hot coals on his back and for his prodder to look like hot metal. I did a bit of searching and found some real life inspiration and the painting masterpiece below…



Clearly an amazing piece of work and way beyond my capabilities but you have to aim high so I planned to try a similar look to the sword on Drizgit’s prodder. I basecoated the weapon in runefang steel and then got to work heating it up. For this I watered down some wazdakka red and painted it all over the area I want to look hot. I repeated this with squig orange and flash gitz yellow keeping the lighter colours towards the centre as this area would retain the heat. I then mixed some white into the yellow for the hottest part, representing where the metal had been in the flame. Finally, I used some watered down black around the edges. I am pretty pleased with the end result.


For the hot coals I started with white all over followed by watered down flash gitz yellow, leaving some white visible in the lowest recesses. I then did the same with squig orange and wazdakka red and added some black to the tops of the coals. The final result leaves the coals looking hot without being too garish.


The rest of the painting was fairly similar to the first goblin I did except for the rusty metal where I used a great recipe from my mate Nick. This involves basecoating with mournfang brown and then stippling with skrag brown followed by squig orange. The recesses are then washed turquoise and then runefang steel is used to pick out some details and scratches. I have used this before but only on the odd weapon rather than so much of the model. I will be using this on the metal on Zarbag and Sourtongue too. I am really happy with how this guy turned out and it has got me excited about finishing up the rest of the grots. Any questions or comments welcome 👍



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boards and Swords Hobbies Tournament 30.06.2019

Cursebreakers vs Thorns of the Briar Queen 16.12.18

Leodis Games Tournament 23.02.19