Cursebreakers vs Ironskulls 16.12.18


Another outing for the Cursebreakers, this time against Nick’s Ironskull's boys. Time to try and keep my fighters alive long enough to earn some glory! With this in mind when I lost the roll I set the boards up offset with some blocking hexes to try and make it difficult for the orruks to charge. I still don’t know if this was the way to go or not as it ended up hemming me in too.

I drew what I thought was a great hand of sorcerous scouring, magical supremacy and devastating blow. So glory for casting a spell, killing with a spell and killing two fighters. Nice! Against grots, skaven, nighthaunt or skellies I’d have been loving it but against the high wound count orruks it ended up not being as good as I first thought.

Nick spent his whole first turn moving forward as aggressively as possible and pretty much stopping me from getting out of my territory. He also managed to get a free upgrade onto Gurzag – great strength… So he could now one shot anyone in my warband. Oh dear. I cast a fulmination on an Orruk to inspire Stormsire and score magical supremacy and tried to empower Ammis and Rastus to get them inspired ready for next turn.

The first activation of next turn I managed to charge Gurzag, knock him back to an edge hex and get him down to one wound with encroaching shadow. Unfortunately, he responded by charging and killing Stormsire. Rastus responded by killing Gurzag but the damage was done. As Ammis had already charged she eventually went down to the Orruk next to her so it was just Rastus (uninspired) against all the remaining Orruks. I did manage to upgrade him with the Faneway Crystal though…

The game of keep away began in the final round as I teleported away deep into Nick’s territory with Rastus and tried to cycle some objectives. Nick managed to use distraction on Rastus to get him off the objective and into charge range of an Orruk and so I sidestepped away again. Then he played sidestep on the Orruk to get him back into range. Dammit! I was fully expecting a last activation charge but Nick really surprised me here. Moving his last Orruk into my territory to score alone in the darkness and conquest. This is how the game looked at the end...

Absolute top marks for bluffing here and I ended up losing 7-4. A well-deserved victory for Nick and his Orruks. So I clearly still had a lot to learn about how to keep the Cursebreakers alive! More practice needed but still a great game that has me keen to play them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boards and Swords Hobbies Tournament 30.06.2019

Cursebreakers vs Thorns of the Briar Queen 16.12.18

Leodis Games Tournament 23.02.19